Friday, May 18, 2012

Guntersville fishing report 5/17/12

Follow me on Facebook, YouTube,  and Twitter!

Read about all of my Fishing Adventures!

Follow my Fish of 2014


One of the gentlemen who reads my blog makes trips down to Guntersville a few times a year. A few months ago, he had contacted me about fishing with he and his father. I love meeting new people and thought it would be a great opportunity for all of us to learn off each other and have a good time. They were down most of the week, but because of my schedule, we had to wait a few days before I could join them. It had been the same song, different verse for them. Tough fishing. I didn't expect it to be any different for us.  Yesterday, we met up and got to do some fishing.

Now, I know what you are thinking: Didn't you give up Guntersville? Well, sorta. Don't you have a 2 week old? Yep. I also have the bestest wife ever. :-)

We put in a BB Comer and ran downriver to a spot where the had caught a few fish a few days before, there at the power lines. Not a whole lot of action. They caught a fish or two on topwater Spooks:

I had a swipe or two on the Sammy and I had the funniest thing happen on my swim bait. I was throwing my Baby Carp swimbait, see here at Zach's Swimbaits. I was pulling on top of a grass mat and a big fish smacked at it. I kept reeling and he kept coming! He must have jumped 3 times and slammed it repeatedly, never quite getting it in his mouth. About 5 yards from the boat, he finally caught up to it, made a massive splash and ran under the boat. I couldn't get a hook set on him, but we all enjoyed the show! 

After a few more minutes, we headed up to the mouth of roseberry. We started fishing the ledge, but noticed there was a ton of action on the flats. Groups of the bigger shad were getting hammered by the bass. We pulled up on the flat and started casting at them. But, the bass liked the buffet and we couldn't entice them to bite. 

So, instead, I told the gentlemen to start throwing the spooks over submerged grass. The sun was high and there were no clouds...but there was a little chop and  I had a feeling we could catch a few. The move paid off and they boated several fish. 

One of the funnier things of the day was when one of the guys broke off the spook on a fish. We were all pretty bummed about it, but the spook was too buoyant for the fish and we found him and the spook about an hour later. Removed the spook, revived the fish, and off he went!

Not a banner day, by far. But we caught some fish and traded stories all morning. We called it quits about 11:30 as the sun got way up. Great time was had, and I can't wait until they make it back down! Even managed to sell some swimbaits, too!

The day didn't stop there, although I doubt most of you care. I was asked to play on an A-League softball team. I have played C-league the last 2 years with my awesome wife. So, I ran home, took a little nap, slammed a Red Bull and was off to the field. 

Turns out, A-league is A-league for a reason. Where as I had been hitting over the outfielders heads in C-League, the A-Leaguers put their backs on the fence and dare you to hit it deep. You either hit it over, or you fly out. And I can't hit it out. Took 3 at bats to figure that out...some smart guy, huh?

Got home around 6:45 and went to work in the garden. 



What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment