Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Fishing Report for Wheeler/Ditto Landing 8/30

Follow me on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter!
Read about all of my Fishing Adventures!
Follow my Fish of 2019
First, let me start off telling yall that I am trying to host a nearly weekly wildcat out of Ditto on Friday nights. We started running some wildcats during they winter and I had so many people ask me to keep a running tournament during the fall and winter, so I am doing my best. Message me through my Facebook Page for info. We are fishing this coming Friday, the 6th from 5-9 for $25. 

Anyways, so we had the Ditto Classic, which is a two day event. We were on board the struggle bus, once again. We've never done well in the Classic, but this year in its entirety was just brutal. We just never found fish. 

So, we sulked about it for a few weeks and I started having people ask me if we would be willing to start hosting a Friday tournament. We gave it a shot this past week, even though we didn't have a whole lot of time to advertise it, we still had enough to fish. 

Josh and I decided to change things up. All year we went to the dam and all year we struggled. It's crazy how you can get bit prefishing and then strike out on tournament day, but it kept happening. So, we just went fishing. We decided to just junk fish around and see what happens. 

We started near the mouth of Ditto because we saw some schooling fish and the current was around 45,000 CFS which should be more than enough to turn them on, even though the water temps were around 88 degrees. I lost a two pounder on a crank, caught a keeper on the very next cast, then nothing. We had a few worm bites, but nothing that would take the worm. 

We decided to move down towards the bridge and I got swiped at with my crank a few times. I think Josh caught a keeper. I put down the crank and picked up a spinnerbait. I don't know why. The conditions don't seem to be very spinnerbait friendly, but my buddy Wyatt swears by it and it seems to work for him. Sure enough, first cast on a spinnerbait, I catch a four-pounder. We find that isolated wood seemed to hold fish, but getting them in the boat was tough as they were pulling the tails off my trailor. Josh did manage to boat a bunch of short fish, but for the most part, we didn't catch anything worth talking about.

As the sun went down, we decided to fish some current breaks up river. It was like a light switch went on and we caught around 10 fish on consecutive casts including smallmouth, which were mixed in.

I had boated a few keeper spots and then one loaded up. All the fish feel big on my custom crank rod, and when it got in the current, it felt like all the other fish as it swam towards me. Then it decided it didn't want to get in the boat and I realized it was a much bigger fish than I had thought. The fish short lined me, made some nasty turns, evaded the net, but eventually we boated a near 4-pound smallie. A few casts later and I boated a 2-pounder smallie. Josh caught fish as well, but none helped up. 

Then the light switch went off and we didn't get bit again from 7:30-9. Luckily, we had 11.5 pounds and the 4.30 big fish, which was enough for the win. 

The story from upriver was that the fish were biting just as good, with some big ones showing up, but Wyatt was fishing alone and couldn't get all of his in the boat. He had enough to beat us, had he been able to boat them. 

The topwater bite is non-existant and the worm bite is just as bad, seems like. That will change when the temps go down, I think. 

Looking forward to this Friday. Hope yall come!

No comments:

Post a Comment