Monday, March 12, 2012

Family Fishing 3/10-11/12

Aubree had softball practice fairly early on Saturday and when she was done, we had a whole day with nothing planned. So, we went and picked up the boat and headed to Wheeler (Army Rec). We headed up to Flint River to find some white bass. I was really hoping that we could find a mess of them and they could both use their new rods that Santa gave them to catch some fish.

However, as soon as we arrived, I dropped the trolling motor and realized that the trolling motor batteries didn't get charged. Suddenly that stiff current became fairly insurmountable. I bet they were pulling 4-5mph current! I couldn't even hide behind the upper river point of Flint River. There was so much flow down river and out of the Flint that it would pull us right along with it. Flustered, I tried to swap batteries around to get a good combination, but 2 out of the 3 were toast. About the time I looked up, the boat was headed for the rip-rap on a solid pace. Fast enough to poke a hole in the boat, so I sprinted back up the walk way to get us away, stepping on Aubree's new rod and snapping it in two...along with her heart. :-(

After about an hour of fighting with the boat,  I decided it was a lost cause, although my wife had been telling me that for 45 minutes. So, instead, we did doughnuts with the boat. I let Griffin drive a good bit, which he loved.

Not being satisfied with this, Sunday afternoon, we headed over the the Publix off of Highway 53 to the land trust. Now, I know that there are some decent fish in there...because I put them there.  I also know that they stocked it. However, it is a young lake...shallow...with no cover. Which makes fishing it a crap shoot. To improve the odds of catching fish, I called my friend TJ and he met us there. It's a good thing too, because he caught the only fish! Even if it WAS a tiny bass.

We made a makeshift stringer and put the fish on there and let Griffin and Aubree play with him, which made their day of course.

A little later, he caught another solid pounder, so I know there are some stocked fish with decent size that haven't been eaten withe big ones I put in.

All in all, a great way to spend an hour on a lazy Sunday. Most of all, I am just thankful that my kids have the patience to fish and that TJ caught a few for them to see.

Oh, and for those wondering, I upgraded Aubree's rod that was broken to a real 1-piece 6'6'' rod. Even upgraded the reel. It was a single handed Zebco, which I modded with a Shimano Citica double handle...because I don't believe in leaving ANYTHING factory!