Monday, June 11, 2018

Fishing Report for Wheeler Lake 6/7/18

Follow me on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter!
Read about all of my Fishing Adventures!
Follow my Fish of 2018


For most of the week, Josh and I weren't going to fish the Thursday night Wildcat. We had the Alabama Bass Trail Logan-Martin tournament coming up and we planned to get down to Pell City early Friday morning. Even if we didn't sit around and chat after an 8:30 weigh in, we still get home around 10PM. In case you've been under a rock, we've been on quite the roll this late spring and early summer out of Ditto.  It's luck. Really is. But luck comes to everyone who rolls the dice long enough. 

In all honesty, this spot we've been fishing, we've hit it dozens of times the last few years and it's never produced like this. But, we've also not had current like this at this point in the year, or at least not consistent. In case you didn't read, here is last week's report. We had enough for a 3rd place finish and had a five pounder on the crank that came off at the boat thanks to a knucklehead move by your's truly. 


The bite was better last week than the week before, but we didn't know how three straight weeks of fishing would effect the fish. Still, as Josh said "run the horse that got you there" or something like that. We made the run to the dam and went right at them with crankbaits. 

Josh boated a nice fish pretty early, but we could tell really quick that the bite wasn't what it had been. The week before, we had a limit and were culling by 5:25 and the bite went on and on. Truly, we probably shouldn't' have caught so many fish and attempted to find new spots. Live and learn. But it was a lot of fun. 

Still, the fish were biting with the 60,000 CFS being pulled out of Guntersville dam, but unlike the week before, the water level was down two feet and it had re-positioned the fish and even scattered them a good bit.

I was able to get that big bite early and after a terrific fight, Josh netted a nearly six pound buckethead largemouth on a crank. I was shocked we got the fish in and relieved that I didn't lose a money fish two weeks in a row. 



It took an additional 30 minutes to finish the limit , but at 6PM, we were ready to cull up some fish. The issue was that our spot was still producing fish, but sparingly and none were helping. So, we decided to expand on something we began to dial in last week. On the other side of the river, up against some rip rap facing into the current, we had began catching a lot of fish on small cranks. It was basically every cast, but size was an issue. We did cull a few times, but the average size of the fish there were behind what we were catching down river. 

Instead of throwing smaller, shallow cranks, Josh went to work with a deeper diver while I was throwing a big worm. This resulted in some really nice fish as well as a good laugh.

I had what I was certain was a bite, set the hook, but found out that I was hung up instead. This got some laughs from my partner on the front of the boat. As we idled up to free my shakey head, I pulled out a wad of old fishing line, which had my hook AND a fish still attached. 

The fishing was better at our second spot, in terms of numbers. Size was still at our first spot, but we really wonder just how long it will hold out. I prefer my saying, which I think I stole from my wife: "dance with the girl you brought" or something like that. So, we will try that spot again! Especially since it rewarded us with another win. We weighed in 14 pounds, which is a terrific bag this time of year. Obviously, a 5.75 lunker goes a long way, but honestly, we haven't put together our best bag yet. 

Water clarity was fairly stained, water level down, with a lot of current. We caught around 20 fish total, down about half from the previous week. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment