Monday, November 5, 2018

Fishing Report for Wheeler 11/2/18

Follow me on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter!
Read about all of my Fishing Adventures!
Follow my Fish of 2018

Ah, Flex Friday. For those of us livin' that guv lyfe, that means we were not working. So, Wyatt and I have been trying to tag up and go fishing. It just hadn't happened. It finally did. So, the question was, where do we go? Brad and I had a pretty solid day on Gunterville, which you can read about by clicking the link below.


But, it wasn't THAT good AND the FLW Costa Series was fishing Guntersville, so, yeah. Nah. Hard pass. 

Didn't have time to head to Pickwick and I wasn't even sure it was time to go. Wilson was off the last week. So, that left Wheeler. As you guys know, we fish Wheeler a ton. It's not the best. The upper end can be down right bad. But it also can be a lot of fun, if you can figure it out. This year has been all about growth for us on that lake and I firmly believe we can be scary good up there.

Anyways, I didn't want to run to the dam early in the morning, which saw 40 degrees and a lot of clouds. So we junk fished. First we fished inside Ditto. Nothing. Hit the points. Nothing. Fished some rip rap and pulled a good river fish off it on a spinner bait. Remember this. 

Hit a current break down river just below the bridge and Wyatt caught three or four solid river fish on a texas rig. I added a small spot and we had 5 fish for 10 pounds. Pretty sweet.

I showed him some off shore rock piles which only resulted in a few drum. Fished more current breaks. Nothing. I was getting really frustrated because we were running out of time. I had to leave by 1PM. 

I kept thinking to myself: I know the clouds are bad. I know the offshore stuff won't work with low sunlight. But the current breaks aren't working either.....what should I do?

With 30 minutes left to go, I had an epiphany. I motored us to the other side of the river, picked up the only bait I had confidence in with low light, cloud cover, and wind. A spinnerbait. I began tossing it over wood. 

Man, did it get right in a hurry. Hit after hit after hit. I didn't have to do anything but keep the nose of the boat pointed down river. Every other tree had a fish on it. Most of them were thumping the blades and a lot were small fish, but there were some really good one mixed in. We had a couple of 3s and 4s come up and hit. 

It took me 15 minutes to figure out that the reason I wasn't hooking up was because my drag was loose.....

We doubled or tripled the amount of hits in the last 30 minutes by finally listening to the conditions. Ended up being a good day. TVA was pushing 60K out of Guntersville. There was a lot of stain on the water. Water temp was 59. 

No comments:

Post a Comment