Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Equipment Review for Bass Pro Shop Extreme Baitcaster

While on a trip to BPS a few months ago, I was looking for a high gear ratio reel to use on my frog rod. I want the ability to wrench a fish on top of the grass and keep him there. BPS Extreme Baitcaster comes in a 7.1:1 ratio.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Extreme-Baitcast-Reels/product/103926/



I have to admit that I was concerned about high ratio gears and their relative strength. But, I figured it was worth the cash. BPS, at the time, was offering a rod and reel combo for something like $120 bucks. I did need a worming rod, but all they offered was a 6 foot 6 inch/baitcaster combo. But, the man working the reel counter happily set me up and told me he would fix any combo I wanted for the same price.

Anyway, I purchassed the combo, split them, and went about my buisness.

On the first trip out, I broke out the frog rod with the new reel on it. First hit I had, I set the hook and the drag wouldn't engage. The fish came off and I dejectedly reeled it in. I thought maybe I just didn't have the drag set right. Maybe I had it loosened all the way.

Nope. The friction disc was messed up and wouldn't engage at all.

I am sending it, my BPS Extreme spinning reel( you can read the review here: http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7892342121119950405#editor/target=post;postID=3757398467176246416)

So, one trip out and she was finished. Hopefully, I just have a bum reel and the next one will work. We shall see. But, until proven otherwise, I am 0 for 2 with the BPS Extreme stuff.

1 comment:

  1. This constantly amazes me just how blog owners such as your self can find the time as well as the dedication to keep on crafting superb blog posts. Your website is good and one of my personal must read weblogs. I just had to thank you.
    Bass pro

    ReplyDelete