Monday, August 12, 2013

Sunday Funday 8/11/13

If you are pretty much anywhere in the South, you know that this past weekend was a wash. Rain ruined having much of any fun outdoors, particularly Sunday. There has been so much rain that my garden is starting to have problems from it. Turns out, too much rain is a bad things...even for water loving produce like cucumbers.

I won't complain too much about it. The garden, for the most part, has done fantastic. You may remember seeing some pictures on my Facebook page. I like to post updates. This year, I tripled both the over all size and quantity of the garden. We sure have profited. Yet, this rain...and the collateral damage it has done...has still stunted it from it's maximum expectancy.

Anyway, Sunday presented us a small opportunity to get some work done. First off, we picked up some furniture from my wife's grandmother. She is moving to her lake house and didn't have room for all her stuff. WE took a china cabinet that was the last piece that my wife's late grandfather worked to restore. It still needs work, but I am going to give it a try! Then, it was back across the country for the next chore.

I am having to pay my dues into the family hunting club, which entailed putting together a shooting house. So, my dad and uncle and I got to work on easily the most humid day of the year. They had built the house to be modular, so all we had to do was assemble it on the spot. Sounds easy, right? Nope! The walls sure are heavy and we are WAY up in the air! We were able to get the walls and the roof on, but much of the work remains to be done. We had to stop once or twice for storms. And the last one that moved in was nasty and we all had to head out.

Meanwhile, just a few hundred yards away, my mom, wife, and kids were all enjoying a little afternoon fishing. I had fully intended to wrap up the work and hit the pond for a few casts myself. I was able to get done in just enough time to make 2 casts with a Sammy before lightening ran me off. I did catch a little 15 inch fish on that last cast that made it worth it. Looks like the kids were able to have a fun time too!

WE finished off the evening with some Mexican food. Griffin ate his cheese dip and guacamole. Gavin ate everything we put in front of him! We were a site, I'm sure! Dad and I were soaked to the BONE with sweat in our mud boots!  I bet we smelled AWESOME!

By the time we got home, not only was it "late" but we were all dead tired! We have to get read for a week on Table Rock lake! Stay posted!