Friday, August 9, 2013

Wright & McGill Skeet Reese Victory Reels

Follow me on Facebook, YouTube,  and Twitter!
Read about all of my Fishing Adventures!

Follow my Fish of 2014
A  few months ago, Dick's Sporting Goods was doing a special where you could buy one of their Wright & McGill Skeet Reese Victory Rods and get a free reel. Now, I have owned several of the rods and they seem to be fantastic rods for the money. They run under $100 and have lived under my abuse. Well, I jumped all over it and so did everyone else. In fact, I had to go to two different stores in order to get both. I bought the 7.0:1 ratio.
  • Aluminum frame for durability and weight reduction.
  • Infinite anti-reverse.
  • One-touch removable aluminum spool.
  • Centrifugal anti-backlash braking system.
  • Powerful and smooth Teflon® drag system.
  • Audible click star drag.
  • Precision cut brass gears.
  • Extra-large power handle and oversized rubber paddles.
  • Available in right & left hand retrieve.
  • Weight 7.76 ounces.
  • Includes neoprene reel case.
Price Point: Right at $100

Initially, I was very impressed by it. I put it on a reel with 30 pound braid and only used it for soft plastics. I liked the high ratio for quickly getting fish out of the weeds. 

Things I Liked:
  • The handles are nice and wide, allowing you to impart a lot of force without much effort
  • The grips are very nice and comfortable
  • The braking system and casting control are very easy to use
Things I Dislike:
  • Something about it isn't quite as ergonomic as I would like. I don't know if it is the shape or size. It doesn't fit quite right in my hand
  • The braking system is flawed. If you cast it hard, like a top water plug or crank bait, the brakes will reset or loosen up. So, your next cast will be a nightmare
  • The side cover isn't attached to the main body. So, if you are adjusting it, keep a hand on it! It might fall in the drink! 
Overall, the reel is a great way to spend a little cash and get decent quality. Especially if it's free. However, the inability to really cast plugs reliably without having to mess with the brake system is a deal breaker for top water or cranking. Literally, every cast I had to redo the brakes. Now, it will be fine for plastics or other baits similar. But, if you are casting for distance, you will be in trouble. Additionally, with a coupon or two, I could buy a Shimano Citica that will outperform it in all regards. But, if you can find it on special and need a plastics reel, this is a solid choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment