Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Best5Zach's AR-15 Budget Build Part 2

Check out all of my Last Man on Earth Studies!

Follow me on Facebook and Twitter!

If you haven't read it, check out Part 1 of the AR-15 Budget Build.


Just a short recap, here is a list of things we purchased to get us this far:

  • Anderson MFG stripped lower-$55
  • Palmetto State Classic lower build kit with bolt and carrier group and charge handle-$236.99 shipped
  • Kobalt roll punch set-$25


Now, I admit that I took the easy way out when it came to assembling the rest of my gun. You can spend as much money as you would like on building an AR-15. But, I wanted something that I could shoot with accuracy and consistency and not spend a lot of money on. But, I wanted something that was superior than what you would find in your gun shop for $700-800 dollars.

All of my friends had told me that Palmetto State does some awesome Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. So, I kept my eyes open. Sure enough, they listed a killer deal on one of their barreled upper assemblies. Of course that meant that I wouldn't have to assemble it myself. Anyways, they listed the PTAC 16" M4 upper for $189.99. Again, I knew that this was their entry level assembled upper. But, it's still a pretty good one. It features:

  • Barrel Length 16" 
  • 5.56 Nato Chamber
  • 1 in 7" twist 
  • M4 Profile Barrel 
  • .750" Gas Block Diameter 
  • M4 Feedramps 

Again, it isn't the best, but it is comparable or even better than most of the units on the entry level guns you would purchase in the gun shop. I've learned enough over the years to know that I need to practice on cheap stuff before spending lots of money. So, this seemed to be the best way to learn with low risk while producing a useful firearm. Additionally, this is a shooters gun. I don't have to have to worry about taking this gun out and dragging it thought the mud, so to speak. My initial thoughts on the upper? It isn't the most visually appealing piece. Again, you can buy all kinds of cool looking flash hiders. It didn't come with a rail system, though for the price, you can't really argue. It's just something else to buy, so keep that in mind when considering some of the options. The barrel isn't chrome lined, but I don't plan on shooting that often. The front site is a fairly cheap piece, but it does it's job.  

So, the gun showed up a few days later. Since it's an assembly, I simply snapped in the take down pins and...there we go. Finished. Now, it didn't have a rear site, so I added a Knight's Armament flip up rear peep site. 
Here is a picture of the whole gun. I apologize that it isn't the best...but it will do. 
So, here is the total break down on cost:

  • Anderson MFG stripped lower-$55
  • Palmetto State Classic lower build kit with bolt and carrier group and charge handle-$236.99 shipped
  • Kobalt roll punch set-$25
  • Palmetto State PTAC 16" M4 upper-$204.99 shipped
  • Knight's Armament rear site-$125

Total Cash Outlay: $673.98

1 comment:

  1. This is very cool, thanks for sharing this! I have been looking into doing this myself, so everything that you listed definitely helped. I have been looking at an AR15 build kit myself so that I can have something similar to what you have.

    ReplyDelete