Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Bacon Wrapped and Peppercorn Dusted Venison Tenderloin Medalians Recipe

Follow me on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter!
Read about all of my Hunting Adventures!






So I bagged a large dog...err...small deer last week, which you can read about here. The only thing that makes the ridicule worth it is the tenderness of a young doe. So, when I picked it up from the processor the other day, I left the tenderloin in the fridge to cook. 

During the process of preparing and eating, I took a few (bad) pictures and posted them on my FaceBook Page. People were interested in how I cooked it. And, yes, it was amazingly delicious. So, I thought I would share. 

  • I started with the entire deer's worth of uncut tenderloin. 
  • Remove it from the package and let it drain in a colander. 
  • Then wash the meat under cold water and pat dry.
  • Place meat in a flat bottom container and pour marinade (you can use any brand you like. I frequently use my own) over the meat, then turn the meat over once every 15 minutes for an hour to make sure that it absorbs it evenly. 
  • Remove from the container and place in the colander to allow it to drain excess marinade. 
  • Lay the meat on a cutting board and cut against the grain (perpendicular to the length) into 4 ounce slices. This is about the size of a large lemon. Keep in mind that the tenderloin tapers at the ends, so some pieces will be longer and thinner than others. 
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
  • Using a single piece of bacon, wrap each cutlet and tie in a simple knot. Direction of the tie doesn't matter as long as you can tie. You may have to stretch the bacon, which I commonly must do. 
  • Place the cutlets on a broiler pan.
  • Melt half a stick of butter (or a quarter stick with a tablespoon of margarine) and stir in a teaspoon of minced garlic and fresh cut rosemary. Powdered garlic and dried rosemary doe not work nearly as well. 
  • Baste the cutlets and bacon on all sides with the butter mix.
  • Place in oven and cook from 20-30 minutes. I gauge the readiness of the meat based upon the bacon. When the bacon FIRST APPEARS EDIBLE, pull the broiler pan from the oven.
  • Liberally sprinkle fresh cracked black pepper and large grain sea/kosher salt
  • Let the meat rest for 5-10 minutes. 
  • Enjoy. 
Commonly, people avoid venison for it's "gamey" taste and the frequently tough portions. Many don't mind it, but it is a turn off the most who try it for the first time, which is a shame. Not only does this recipe remove that gamey taste, but it has the consistency of  veal. My mom and sister enjoyed this dinner with use last night. Both have been venison eaters for their entire lives and neither had any idea that they were eating venison. We served this meat with sliced and baked potatoes in olive oil, french bread and a fresh salad with red onions, roma tomatoes, goat cheese, and vinaigrette. 


No comments:

Post a Comment