Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Best5Zach's Jerky Marinade

Follow me on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter!
Read about all of my Hunting Adventures!

I don't do too many things right, but apparently sauces are one of my bright spots. Are you looking for a good marinade for your jerky? Well, read on!

My dad used to make deer jerky, way back when...and I LOVED it. There was nothing better than reading a book and eating deer jerky as I sat on the treestand...that is, of course, a deer walked by.

Anyway, I don't know how or when, but I THINK Alyse's grandmother sent a dehydrator home with us sometime last year. I played around with it a little, but really didn't do too much.

Well, last fall, I bought a cow from my grandad. A whole 790 pounds of processed beef. While there are plenty of steaks and hamburger, there are also plenty of other cuts that I didn't have much to do with. For example, cube steak.

So, a few weeks ago, I decided to make jerky. Alyse had found a recipe and I gave it a whirl. First batch came out and it was ok...but not great. So, I did what all engineers do. I looked at the instructions, shrugged my shoulders, and did it my way.

I even enlisted the help of my eldest, who loves to cook with me.

I have made several 2 pound batches, which makes about 6 baggies.


A small baggie is perfect for me to eat over the course of a day of fishing. It's the perfect amount of protein. 

So, this recipe is a "sweet heat." It isn't too sweet and it isn't too hot. It has just enough of both. Additionally, I have cut down significantly on the sodium, so you ladies can enjoy. You processing method may very, so I won't go into it. I do, however, marinate for 48 hours. Additionally, if you are making a cured meat, such as jerky, don't forget your curing agent, like Prague Powder #1. Use between one half and one tablespoon per 2.5 pound batch. (Thanks Alan Minga)

Here is the list of ingredients, which you should simmer as long as you can stand and add to 2 to 2.5 pounds of meat:
  • 1 cup of Worcestershire
  • 1 cup teriyaki
  • 1 cup Dales/Moores/Generic (personally, I use the Kroger or Publix brand with low sodium)
  • 1.5 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoon liquid smoke
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon red pepper flake
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon paprika
  • 1/4 tablespoon Cayenne
Again, you may process yours differently than I, so I won't go into that...or my other little secrets! HA! Anyway. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks. Bud. Glad you could take time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe reads awesome, but that's wayyyy to much Prague Powder #1..

    You use 1 teaspoon per 5lbs of meat. Using more than that can be toxic and I'd advise you edit your recipe.

    ReplyDelete