Tuesday, January 8, 2013

EOTWAWKI BBQ Sauce

Despite being a sub-average bass fisherman, a lethargic deer hunter, avid talker of all things EOTWAWKI (but not really doing anything about it), I am also an AVID cook. And so are my kids!



One of my favorite things to cook is BBQ...and not just BBQ....but BBQ sauce. The first time I cooked BBQ was before the Auburn vs Arkansas State game way back in 2010. One of my best good friends lives in Auburn and we decide to cook ribs. Well, he had a recipe that we used...and it was good.

When I got home, I wrote down what we had used. A few months later, I was asked to cook ribs for Memorial day.

I made some tweaks to it and it went over terrific. But, I am a skeptic and always thing that people would rather choke down something horrible that tell you it isn't good....kind of like that scene from "Christmas Vacation" when they are eating the nuked turkey for dinner.

Yet, at the end of dinner, the remainder of the sauce was fought over between my mother, grandmother, and sister.

At the next family function, I was asked once again to make it. And so it went. Football games, family events, birthdays, and random hangouts. I was even asked this year to make it as Christmas presents, which I did. So, here is what you do to make a good batch of End of the World As We Know It sauce...named because it will keep forever and because...if it's the last thing you get to taste, you can go out on a high note (rimshot).

It's an extremely easy recipe that even a NASA engineer can do...because the measurements are very easy.


You will need a 1-cup measure and a 1 tablespoon measure, and a small sauce pot. I prefer to use fresh herbs, whenever possible. It makes for a superior savory flavor(takes a lot less herbs and saves you money). Remember to cook as low and long as possible!

  • Add 1 Cup of Tennessee Whiskey into a sauce pan.  like George Dickel, personally
  • Add 1 Cup of apple cider vinegar
  • Add 1/4 Cup of lemon juice
  • Add 1/4 Cup of Worcestershire 
  • Bring to a low roil for 5 minutes
  • Add 2 Cups of brown sugar and stir until dissolved
  • Add half a table spoon of ground Cinnamon
  • Add a table spoon of paprika
  • Add a table spoon of ground mustard
  • Add a table spoon of ground black pepper
  • Add a table spoon of red pepper flake
  • Add a 1/2 (depending on level of hotness) table spoon of crushed cayenne
  • Add a table spoon of minced garlic
  • Add a 1/4 cup of salt
  • Add a table spoon of Rosemary
  • Let this simmer for 15-20 minutes
  • Add 2 Cups of ketchup
  • Let simmer additional 15-30 minutes
There you have it! I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I love making it and I love eating it, but I love seeing others enjoy it more than anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment