Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Mystery Tacklebox Review for January 2013

Where has January gone? I admit that it has been tough to get out there and use my January box from Mystery Tacklebox. The weather has been hit and miss. I have been traveling for NASA. I have 3 kids...yadda yadda. But...that doesn't stop me from my obligation to review! I said I would, and I am man of his word. So, in case you have missed the other ones:

My Original Review
Last Months Review

This month featured these baits:
  1. River2Sea Dahlberg Clackin' Crayfish
  2. Evolve Rx VibraGRUB
  3. Stanley Itzabug
  4. Gambler Cane Toad
  5. Mustad Ultra Lock EWG Hook


River2Sea Dahlberg Clackin' Crayfish 90
What a cool bait! About a realistic bait as they come. You rig by the split ring on the rail.

What I like about this bait: It's extremely realistic. It's counter weighted in the right spot so that the claws and whiskers suspend while the back in maintains contact with cover. It's rigged properly to mimic true motion.

What I am not so sure about: Durability of the front end of the bait. The back in is hard while the torso, head, and claws are plastic. I am concerned about hanging it up. I will be using this on rip-rap primarily and dragging it. The hook is in a perfect place to hook almost everything. Now, they did consider this by adding a guard.

The price: according to Tacklewarehouse is $9.99 for the 90 version and $12.99 for 2 baits. Now, I don't know about you, but that's a good chunk for something that hugs the bottom. However, I am certain this will absolutely crush the fish. Like everything else, that's a tradeoff.


Evolve Rx VibraGRUB
Flutter baits are a new thing to me. But, I can immediately think of some uses for it. The appendages make it perfect for moving a lot of water, and that makes me think of stained and muddy water. According to Evolve, it's the first of it's kind. That may be right, as I have never seen one like it. It has no scent added.

What I like about it: It has a large surface area and will move a lot of water. It's versatile enough to use as a T-rig, C-rig, drop shot, etc. I think it's best use is weightless. Throw it out, let it flutter down, pop it, repeat. The body isn't very soft, which I like. It will last longer. The appendages are just right.

What I am not so sure about: Use in finesse situations. It makes a lot of movement in current or during your own motion. Though, this is a very dependant thing. I question what it will do in very still water if you dead stick it.

The Price: according to TackleWarehouse, qty 6 of the 4'' costs you $5.19. Not bad.



Stanley Itzabug
Stanley brings you their adaptation of the creature bait. It's back end is very unique and it's appendages are close...but just slightly different..than it's competitors.

What I like about it: It's just a LITTLE different. Just enough. It's a little bulkier than most of it's competitors, which I like. I sometimes feel that the body of some creature baits isn't wide enough to hold a hook for very long. The ridges on the back end will give a realistic feeling to fish, causing them to hold on to it longer.

What I am not so sure about: Well, it's easy to find on Tacklewarehouse, but I have never seen it anywhere else, at least in our chain stores. Other than that, it's a pretty standard creature bait. It has a very loud plastic scent. I don't really care for that.

The Price: According to BassPro, a pack will run you $4.29.



Gambler Cane Toad
Gambler has the cane toad as their entry to the plastic frog genre. I used these for a whole day during the Gambler Tournament on Guntersville. While the day was tough, I did like using these baits. Gambler plastics, in general, are becoming a favorite of mine.

What I like about it: They stink. HAHA! Gambler plastics have a very loud scent, which I have come to like in specific days. For example, my last trip out, I bagged my fish on their Why Not. It has a pretty standard movement. However, it ages much better than most other companies. That's a big deal.

What I am not sure sure about: The smallish size makes it a little hard to throw, but that's pretty standard for these size baits. Most companies make bigger ones. Gambler does not.

The price: According to BassPro  $4.49 for 4 is what you will pay. Pretty standard price.



Mustad Ultra Lock EWG Hook

Folks, what can I say? I won't even bother. Mustad is one of the 3 big hook companies. They are fantastic hooks. You all know that already.

The Price: According to Tacklewarehouse , $3.19 for 5. That's a fantastic price for great hooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment