Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Product Review for Taurus 85PFS .38 Special Composite Frame Revolver


Follow me on Facebook, YouTube,  and Twitter!


While talking with my wife about the various shootings that seem to be happening these days, I discovered that she really was not comfortable carrying her Taurus TCP .380, which I reviewed. She did not like the thought of keeping it loaded without a safety.  I didn't like the thought of her having to pull it out of her purse just to chamber a round. I reviewed the TCP about a year ago. Taurus TCP .380 Review

While shopping, I noticed that these Taurus revolvers were on sale for an affordable $329 dollars. I read a few reviews on the spot and decided to purchase it.

Here is what Taurus has to say about their product:
The Protector Polymer in .38 Special +P blends a unique design with modern updates that weighs in at a scant 18.2 ounces. This smart little number draws quickly with a full spur hammer. Just like its cousins it’s a best buy in its size now in a cool new set-up

Model: 85PFS
Finish: Blue
Status: Discontinued
Caliber: .38 SPL +P RATED
Grips: Rubber
UPC: 7-25327-61068-7
Capacity: 5
Weight: 18.2 oz
Barrel Length: 2.5"
Height: 4.4"
Frame: Small
Width: 1.3"
Action: DA/SA
Front Sight: Fixed w/fiber optic (red)
Safety: Taurus Security System,Transfer Bar
Trigger Type: Smooth
Order #: 2-850021PFS
MSRP: $299.00
Rear Sight: Fixed


Initial Thoughts
Initially, I was very concerned with how what the pistol's behavior would be when shooting. Specifically, with it being a composite frame, I was concerned it would be brutal on recoil and vibration. Additionally, I was concerned with the accuracy of such a short barrel. When playing with it, I noticed that the cylinder was fairly stiff and that it prevented free spinning. You could also not play cowboy by slapping the cylinder in and out of the frame. Lastly, while the grips are very comfortable, I have worried about their longevity. But, I have owned my .357 for 2 years and it hasn't had any problems. So far, the .38 hasn't had any problems. But, I LOVED the low weight. I loved the single/double action.

After Further Review
Shooting this gun was extremely surprising and I am happy to report I am completely satisfied with the guns performance. It is easy to shoot and it doesn't beat the shooter. The composite frame and light weight don't effect the behavior. Additionally, accuracy doesn't seem to be negatively impacted by the short barrel and the shooter has the benefit of having excellent sites on this gun from the factor. The double action works great.

Pros

  • Very light weight
  • Easy to use
  • Affordable
  • Easy to shoot
  • Accurate
  • Tons of stopping power
Cons
  • Without the hammer cocked, the trigger pull is heavy and long
  • While comfortable, the grips give off a "cheap" air
  • The moving pieces are stiff. That isn't a bad thing, but to the casual observer who things revolvers should act like in the movies, they make think the pieces are not aligned or properly manufactured
  • 5 rounds, as opposed to typical CC automatic pistols
Originally I bought this gun to stick in my wife's purse and never see again. But, on the 4th of July, I pulled it out and shot it. It was a ton of fun and now it has made it's way into the range bag any time I head out to shoot. It's hard to beat for the price. My only regret is that I wish I would have bought the .357 instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment