Friday, December 14, 2012

Product / Equipment Review for Taurus TCP .380


Follow me on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter!
Read about all of my Fishing Adventures!

Follow my Fish of 2014


***Updated 9/25/13***

For years, I wanted to buy my wife something to carry. In this day and age, you should have a gun within reach at all times, no exception.

I shopped and shopped for something that would be small enough to stick in a purse or a pocket and not be a hindrance, but also provide enough knockdown power. There were a lot of good options out there, but price was also an issue for me. I really wanted a Ruger LCP, and despite being an affordable gun, it was still out of my reach.

One day, I received a flyer from Gander Mountain saying they were selling these things for $199.99. I hadn't even considered Taurus because, frankly, I had heard that they were a cheaply made gun. But, after asking around, people had given me great reviews on them, based upon some changes they had made.

You can find info on Taurus' Site here:
Model: 738B
Finish: Blue Steel
Status: Available
Caliber: .380 ACP
Grips: Checkered Polymer
UPC: 7-25327-60696-3
Capacity: 6 +1
Weight: 10.2
Barrel Length: 2.84"
Frame: Compact
Action: DAO
Front Sight: Fixed
Length: 5-1/4"
Trigger Type: Smooth
Order #: 1-738031
MSRP: $336.00

I went down and picked one up. I couldn't say no to a $200 pocket pistol.
Pros:
  • It features a 10.2 ounce weight and a 6+1 double stack.
  • It fits in your front pocket. Literally. I have carried it tons of places, from weddings to family functions
  • Price point
  • Good fit and finish
Cons:
  • Long trigger pull
  • This can throw accuracy off
  • Loud...REAL loud
 ***Update*** I wasn't happy with the action or the accuracey, so I did some research and found out a few little tricks to make it better. Here is the post about Light Handgun Repair. It made all the difference and now it is a solid

1 comment:

  1. Taurus is generally high quality. In my experience, they make good quality clones of various mainstream firearms.

    Nice review, I suspect you can tinker with the trigger pull some. I'm not a fan of DAO generally and that's almost certainly part of it. Is the trigger pull universally long, or only for the first shot?

    Fixed sights and DAO puts it firmly in the defense-only category from my standpoint. I prefer guns that are fun to shoot so that I'll actually maintain proficiency (and because carrying only makes one slightly safer statistically, I think). Of course, I haven't shot in a while now, so I've got little room to talk.

    --Nathan

    ReplyDelete