Friday, December 14, 2012

Product / Equipment Review for Taurus TCP .380

***Updated 9/25/13***

For years, I wanted to buy my wife something to carry. In this day and age, you should have a gun within reach at all times, no exception.

I shopped and shopped for something that would be small enough to stick in a purse or a pocket and not be a hindrance, but also provide enough knockdown power. There were a lot of good options out there, but price was also an issue for me. I really wanted a Ruger LCP, and despite being an affordable gun, it was still out of my reach.

One day, I received a flyer from Gander Mountain saying they were selling these things for $199.99. I hadn't even considered Taurus because, frankly, I had heard that they were a cheaply made gun. But, after asking around, people had given me great reviews on them, based upon some changes they had made.

You can find info on Taurus' Site here:
Model: 738B
Finish: Blue Steel
Status: Available
Caliber: .380 ACP
Grips: Checkered Polymer
UPC: 7-25327-60696-3
Capacity: 6 +1
Weight: 10.2
Barrel Length: 2.84"
Frame: Compact
Action: DAO
Front Sight: Fixed
Length: 5-1/4"
Trigger Type: Smooth
Order #: 1-738031
MSRP: $336.00

I went down and picked one up. I couldn't say no to a $200 pocket pistol.
Pros:
  • It features a 10.2 ounce weight and a 6+1 double stack.
  • It fits in your front pocket. Literally. I have carried it tons of places, from weddings to family functions
  • Price point
  • Good fit and finish
Cons:
  • Long trigger pull
  • This can throw accuracy off
  • Loud...REAL loud
 ***Update*** I wasn't happy with the action or the accuracey, so I did some research and found out a few little tricks to make it better. Here is the post about Light Handgun Repair. It made all the difference and now it is a solid