Friday, February 8, 2013

Emergency Bags for your Automobiles

Don't forget to check out ALL of my Last Man On Earth Studies posts!
                                                            Follow me on Facebook, YouTube,  and Twitter!


So, we have covered Bug Out Bags, from full on disappear forever bags to 24 hour bags. But, let's be honest, are you going to have it when you need it? I think we have covered this in plenty of detail in the past, that the chances of you being at home on your couch with your BOB beside you are slim. What about all the other situations?

Ironically, about a month ago, Alabama had one of those Jesus Is Coming moments when the white stuff from hades started falling. If you don't catch the joke, it's that Alabama shuts down at the THREAT of severe winter weather. I was sitting here in my office when the loud speaker told us to go home. In the ice and snow. 2500 people all recklessly driving to pick up their kids. Not only does Alabama shut down, but Alabamians don't know how to drive in inclimate weather. Case in point is that on Interstate 65, wrecks caused 24 hour delays. 24 HOURS! Most of these delays were between exits in a VERY rural area. Families were trapped in their vehicles for a whole day.

So, my wife..ever supportive of this hobby of mine...saw a REAL application of survival prepping. She asked me to make an emergency kit for the car. While most of you reading would think about gas cans, flashlights, and tow straps, recall that many of us have kids. Young ones. We can't just start humping it up the interstate. We need food, water, and warmth. Now, I know times are hard and people have a tough time spending money on things they will probably NEVER use. But, you can't put a price on safety, convenience, or comfort. These things DO happen. All the time.

I am going to show you how to put together a simple kit that will buy you 24 hours of comfort and assurance. And I am going to do it on a budget that anyone can feel good about.

After a few weeks of procrastinating, I finally got serious (and got paid...) and got on to Emergency Essentials web site found here.

I started out by buying the 72 Hour Improved MRE kit. This cost $58 dollars.

In this kit are:
Contents of the Improved MRE 72-Hour Food and Water Supply

Contents:

Qty
  • MRE Heaters 9
  • MRE Main Dish Entrees 9
  • MRE Side Dishes 6
  • MRE Dessert 6
  • MRE Drink Mix 3
  • Water Pouch 18
  • Bread/Biscuit 3
  • Peanut Butter 2
  • Jam Packet 1
  • Cheese Packet 1
  • Hard Candy 3
  • Accessory Pack 9

Now, that's a big box, and honestly, as I counted up the calories, I realized that we didn't need all of this. I figured we needed a solid 1,000 calorie meal and days worth of water. After all, we are American and it would take weeks to starve us fat  people. But kids get cranky and it's hard to keep your wits about you when you have 3 of them telling you how hungry they are.
Turns out, by counting the calories in each item, it took 1 MRE main dish, 1 dessert, and 1 fruit for a 1,000 calorie meal. Multiple that by 5 and I actually had 1 person's day worth of food left over, which I added to my 24 hour bag.
While I was ordering this, I noticed that they also had a sale on wool survival blankets for $11.99. That's a steal. These things are heavy and huge. And they normally cost $25.
I added 5 Hothands Super Warmers. I bought these for $1 each.
I added 3 Mylar emergency blankets. I bought these in a lot of 10 from Amazon for under $5
I added 3 glow sticks. I bought these in a lot of 10 for $11
I also added a baggy of vitamins and OTC pills for headaches and what not.
I added one large flashlight I already had.
I have several other things that I think should be added. Games/cards, sanitary wipes/toilet paper, extra plastic sacks.
Here is what it looked like all put together.
It fits nicely behind the back seat of my Yukon. It isn't very heavy. And, the total cost, you ask?

Try under $60.

No comments:

Post a Comment