Friday, December 28, 2012

5 Sci-Fi Books to Read in 2013

About a year ago, someone sent me a link to NPRs "Top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books of all Time". The list can be found here. I was able to check off about half the books on the list, but I find myself going to book stores and randomly picking up books and reading them. I don't select reading material based upon reviews and I admit that I have read quite a few busts. I thought that I would give you a list of a few books that I read this past year that you should also read.

Also, you can check out this super nerdy flow chart.


Now, understand that this list was compiled by votes and a popular vote at that. Now, I am not a big fantasy fan, so I won't be suggesting any of these. I thought I would give you a list of Sci-Fi books I have read this year that I would suggest. I am NOT saying they are the best. I am saying that they really held my attention and made me think. I also considered them unique. But, since I read about a book a week, these were some that really stuck out to me that I would suggest to you.

Here are my list of 5 Sci-Fi books you must read for 2013, in no particular order with a 1 or 2 sentence reason, since I know we are all pressed for time and none of you read everything I write anyway. I'm not going to give you a synopses because I have read it and I don't want to spoil it. I want you to look it up.
  1. The Road, by Cormac McCarthy-Many have called it the most pertinent and important ecological work of all time, and I fully agree. It is simply the most realistic and moving post-apocalyptic novel I have read to date that shines light on what the world would be like and not as we would have it. You can find it on Amazon here.
  2. Helix, by Eric Brown-  Simply a fun to read Sci-Fi novel that is vastly different than everything I have ever read. I believe it should have been spread into a few different books with more development, but I have to admit that I never put the book down. Find it on Amazon here.
  3. Titan, by John Varley-Actually the first of a trilogy written in the late 80s and a good mix of fantasy too. I read this book in 2 days and I never saw where it would take me. Find it on Amazon here.
  4. Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear-Vividly and painstaking written to give you every sense of what the protagonist feels and sees, which is a rarity. You can find it on Amazon here
  5. Aftermath, by Ben Bova-Actually the last of a 4 book series, but I picked this book up and never noticed it. You can find it on Amazon here.
An honorable mention:
The Outlanders Series by James Axler. There are a ton of books in this series. While they are not too deep in plot (you can easily read them out of series), they are decently written and HIGHLY entertaining, especially as a post-apocalyptic earth lover!

2 comments:

  1. The Road is on that flow chart :-D I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah yeah! I know. :-)
    But, it is a must read. As you know. Haha!

    ReplyDelete